Celebrating 75 Years!
1945 - 2020
Berea began to assemble in 1944 with the purchase of four lots by the Minnesota District of the LCMS at the corner of Emerson and 76th Street and the relocation of a portable school unit to the site. Reconstruction of the school unit began the following spring of 1945. On May 6th Reverend Herbert Hafner was commissioned as a missionary to the area, and he began regular services. On October 17th, the congregation was officially organized as Berea Lutheran Church with only 19 communicants and 34 believing souls.
Berea continued to outgrow their space over the years with the construction of a new chapel, an annex to the chapel, the construction of the existing sanctuary in 1959, and with a remodel and addition in 1988. Over the years the congregation has created new organizations and programs to meet the specific needs of the church and community. This continues to be an ongoing effort of the church as changing demographics of the area necessitate a need to reshape our inreach and outreach efforts.